Skip to content



Housing Resources

Housing Resources

For on campus housing options, please visit the following page.


If you want to connect with someone about LGBTQIA+ Housing Options at UCSB, contact

Housing Resources

In addition to looking into UCSB Housing and Residential Services options, students who need assistance with finding housing in the community can contact the Community Housing Office for one-on-one support. Students who are unable to pay rent due to a financial emergency are encouraged to visit the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships (or call 805-893-2432) to see whether they are eligible for additional loans or a budget increase.

Finally, students who are homeless or risk homelessness due to financial hardship are encouraged to schedule an appointment with a UCSB social worker at (805) 893-3087. If you need immediate assistance and are not able to meet with a social worker, contact the Dean of Students Office at (805) 893-4521 or (805) 893-4569. 

Emergency Shelters and Transitional Living 

If you are facing housing insecurity or are in need of immediate housing within 24-48 hours, there are university and third party resources that serve our students in Santa Barbara county. If you are a UCSB Student, then UCSB Basic Needs may be able to help. See their information on Emergency Housing here. Additional resources can be found by calling the Santa Barbara County helpline (dial 211). If you are staying (or about to stay) in an emergency shelter, please contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships at (805) 893-2432 as certain provisions in federal law may allow for changes to your financial aid records that would qualify you for additional federal student aid.

AS/EOP Emergency Grants – Housing 

These grants are available to UCSB Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) students currently receiving need-based financial aid who have exhausted other resources. These grants are issued only if there is a threat of eviction. Students must bring supporting documentation (eviction notice and a copy of the original rental contract). Student’s name must appear on the rental contract. Grants are for threat of eviction only and cannot be applied toward a deposit for the following year. Turnaround time: Usually 1-2 weeks. The deadline for submissions is every Thursday at 2 p.m. for review for the following week. Required documentation: A written statement describing the circumstances and the amount requested, to be addressed to the EOP director; application form (obtained from EOP counselor); original receipts for items that are being covered; photo ID. How to apply: Schedule an appointment to meet with an EOP counselor to discuss eligibility and details by calling (805) 893-4758. You do not need to have all of your documentation ready at the time of the appointment.

GSA Emergency Relief Grant (Form)

The GSA Emergency Relief Grant was approved by the UCSB graduate student body in 2011 and is designed to help graduate students who are experiencing sudden financial distress due to unforeseen circumstances.  Examples of this type of hardship may include, but are not limited to, the loss of an immediate family member, medical emergency, or an unexpected loss of employment.  The amount of an award ranges between $100 and $1000 depending upon individual circumstances. The amount to be awarded is decided by the GSA Emergency Grant Advisory Board. The eight member Advisory Board consists of campus administrators, staff, and members of the GSA executive council.

Community Housing Office (CHO) 

Along with an up-to-date rental database, the Community Housing Office offers one-on-one advice and problem solving related to housing in the Isla Vista, Goleta, and Santa Barbara areas, as well as advice on renter’s rights and responsibilities, security deposits, leases, and more. Students can list themselves as potential roommates, get help finding housing that fits their budget, and receive advice when facing financial challenges that impact their rental situation (for example, an inability to pay rent resulting in a threat of eviction). In addition, CHO provides a move-in/move-out videotaping service to aid in the return of students’ deposits and facilitates mediation for students who find themselves in dispute with roommates or property providers. CHO is located on the 3rd floor of the University Center. For more information, visit their website or email, or call (805) 893-4371.

Isla Vista Tenants Union 

The Isla Vista Tenants Union (IVTU) is an organization that serves the interests of Isla Vista tenants by educating them on their rights and responsibilities and acting as a resource when problems occur. In addition to contacting Community Housing Office (see previous page), students can call IVTU to obtain information if they are dealing with financial issues that impact their rental situation, including facing eviction due to non-payment or difficulties related to their security deposits. IVTU also maintains a tenant guide, which can be found at The IVTU is located in Isla Vista at 6550 Pardall Road, Unit B (above Grafikart). For more information, visit or call (805) 968-6704.

University Housing and Payment Plans 

Students in need of housing should contact the offices below to check availability. Any current resident of university-owned housing experiencing financial hardship may negotiate a reasonable payment plan by contacting the appropriate office below:


For more information on Emergency Funds, please visit the following page.

Off-Campus Options

Santa Barbara Student Housing Cooperative provides low-rent housing for UC Santa Barbara students in six complexes furthering the principles of cooperation through mutual, self-help living.

UCSB Off-Campus Rental Listings gives you access to privately-owned housing in the community.

Contact person: Jenn Birchim


For questions, please contact the LGBTQIA+ Housing Coordinator at or University and Community Housing Services at