Skip to content



Name & Pronouns Change at UCSB

Name & Pronoun Change at UCSB

At UCSB, you must change your name in multiple locations in order to keep your name consistent. It is possible to have your chosen/preferred name on GOLD, Student Health Services, your Access Card, Umail, and NetID, regardless of your legal name. Here are the steps to change your name in each system, if you have NOT legally changed your name. 

GOLD (Do this first!):

This will change your name on your class rosters and in most staff and faculty- facing systems including Student Health Services. 

  1. Log in to GOLD with your NetID and password
  2. Click on “About Me” 
  3. Click on “Personal Information”
  4. Click on “Preferred Name”
  5. Click on the “Directory Services Directory Editor” link
  6. In the new tab pop-up log in with your NetID and password
  7. Click on Edit “Your Name” profile
  8. Fill out preferred first name 
  9. Click “Update Profile” on the bottom of the screen

** If you change your name mid-term, it might not be reflected on the class roster which were most likely printed in the beginning of the quarter. It is encouraged that you talk to your instructors about your new name change so they can reflect it on the class roster.

Pronouns in GauchoSpace:

  1. Log into GOLD (hyperlink:
  2. Log in with your NetID and password
  3. Click the "About Me" tab
  4. Click "My Personal Information"
  5. Scroll down to Pronouns
  6. Select and option from the drop-down menu
  7. Click update


Osnium the CARE internal system is based solely off of information gathered on the CARE intake form. Students, Faculty, and Staff survivors can utilize any name, pronoun, or identities of their choosing at the time of the intake appointment. If one’s name or pronouns have changed during the course of advocacy services, CARE clients can speak with their advocate directly, call (805) 893-4613 between 9am- 12pm and 1pm-5pm and ask to update their information in our database system, or email the change to at anytime.

Access Card

In order to update your Access Card (name or picture) during remote learning, follow the steps below. 

  1. Email requesting to update your Access Card.
  2. In your email include:
    • Your full name as you want it to appear on your Access Card
    • PERM Number
    • A JPG passport-style picture

For more information, please visit If you are having trouble changing your Access Card, contact the Director of LGBTQ Resources.

**You must have your old Access Card to replace. If you lost your Access Card it will cost you $30 to replace**

Gmail Domain Name

Once you email someone on Gmail, the display name for your email address is saved in that person's local contacts list. Even if you update your name in GOLD, it will continue to show the original name assigned to that email. This is something that only Google can fix that is beyond the scope of our campus. If you want to change your Gmail domain name the steps are below:

  1. Click on Google apps on the upper right hand corner (9 dots icon)
  2. Click on “Account”
  3. Click on “Personal Info” on the left side
  4. Click on “Name”
  5. Reenter your password
  6. Click the edit pencil icon
  7. Change your first and/or last name and click done

Gmail Aliases

Aliases are other email address name configurations that link to the same address. You may have more than one email alias if you recently changed your NetID, name, or have changed your email before. In order to delete old aliases that may contain outdated information, follow these steps:

  1. Sign in to Gmail.
  2. In the top right, click on the "Settings" Cog.
  3. Then click "See all Settings".
  4. Click the “Accounts” tab.
  5. In the “Send mail as” section, find the specific email address and click edit info.
  6. Check or uncheck “Treat as an alias” in the pop-up window.
    1. Uncheck "Treat as an alias" if the email is outdated and no longer in use.
    2. Check "Treat as an alias" if the email is correct and in use.
  7. Click Save.

UCSB NetID and Umail:

If you want to request a change to your ucsbnet ID please call 805-893-5000 to have the IT Service Desk assist you. The IT Service Desk will submit a ticket on your behalf to request your change. 

Changing Your Middle Name

If you would like to remove your middle name in staff and faculty systems, please contact:

Sara Cook, the Associate Registrar for Academic and Student Services, at 805-893-8653 or email

State: "I am requesting that my middle name be hidden/changed to match or reflect my gender identity" 

You do not need to go into further detail.

For more information on where your legal and preferred first names will be displayed at UCSB:

Or go directly to:

Deadname Remover Extension - [link]

An easy to use Google Chrome plugin to automatically remove and replace deadnames
Once installed, a page will open to allow you to set your name options. To edit these at any time, click the Deadname Remover logo at the top right of your screen.


Preferred Name

Calfresh is a federally funded nutrition assistance program so a legal name is required to apply. However, the application has a section where you can provide a "preferred name". This name should be seen on your calfresh documents and by your case worker. If you have any questions about the application process, reach out to a UCSB CalFresh advocate

Name Change

If you’ve completed a legal name change, there are two ways to update your name with CalFresh. Proof via official documentation are required for both:

  1. Through UCSB - Reach out to, explain that you have legally changed your name and would like to change it with CalFresh. Attach documented proof (court order or official gov documents). They will send it to the county to process (takes anywhere between 1-7 business days) and the assigned case worker will call you to verify the information. The changes should be reflected soon after.

  2. Through Santa Barbara County - Submit a change of information form to the Benefits Service Center through DSS Octopus - the county's secure document system. Include your name change documents with your submission and follow up with a phone call to the Benefits Service Center once it is uploaded to verify receipt of documents (1(844) 289-4682) menu option 3). The form should be processed in roughly 1-7 business days.