Skip to content




LGBTQ+ Housing

For on campus housing options, please visit the following page.

We would love your feedback on housing security at UCSB! Please fill out the following survey.


LGBTQ+ Themed Housing are options specifically designated for LGBTQ+ students and their allies. Residential & Community Living staff work closely with the Resource Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity on educational and social programming that promotes a welcoming and supportive environment for all members of the LGBTQ+ community.  

Gender Inclusive Housing is intended to provide trans and non-binary students with comfortable living options. Students who choose this option will work one-on-one with housing staff to find a living arrangement that is best for them. If interested in this option, please contact Mario Muñoz.

Co-ed Housing allows for mixed gender roommate groups, by request, to share the same unit/room in Manzanita Village, San Rafael Residence Hall or any UCSB apartment. Students are able to create mixed gender roommate groups through the standard room selection process.

Off Campus Options

Santa Barbara Student Housing Cooperative provides low rent housing for UC Santa Barbara students in six complexes furthering the principles of cooperation through mutual, self-help living. Newman House is LGBTQ+ themed.

UCSB Off-Campus Rental Listings gives you access to privately-owned housing in the community. Households may be designated LGBTQ+ friendly and students looking for housing may designate in their posting that they desire LGBTQ+ friendly housing.

Contact person: Jenn Birchim

Queer Housing Santa Barbara/Isla Vista is a Facebook group for queer folks to find housing and roommates in Isla Vista, Goleta, Santa Barbara, and the surrounding areas, and to post resources for dorm and/or apartment living.

Housing Resources

In addition to looking into UCSB Housing and Residential Services options, students who need assistance with finding housing in the community can contact the Community Housing Office for one-on-one support. Students who are unable to pay rent due to a financial emergency are encouraged to visit the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships (or call 805-893-2432) to see whether they are eligible for additional loans or a budget increase.

Finally, students who are homeless or risk homelessness due to financial hardship are encouraged to schedule an appointment with a UCSB social worker at (805) 893-3087. If you need immediate assistance and are not able to meet with a social worker, contact the Dean of Students Office at (805) 893-4521 or (805) 893-4569.

AS/EOP Emergency Grants – Housing 

These grants are available to UCSB Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) students currently receiving need-based financial aid who have exhausted other resources. These grants are issued only if there is a threat of eviction. Students must bring supporting documentation (eviction notice and a copy of the original rental contract). Student’s name must appear on the rental contract. Grants are for threat of eviction only and cannot be applied toward a deposit for the following year. Turnaround time: Usually 1-2 weeks. The deadline for submissions is every Thursday at 2 p.m. for review for the following week. Required documentation: A written statement describing the circumstances and the amount requested, to be addressed to the EOP director; application form (obtained from EOP counselor); original receipts for items that are being covered; photo ID. How to apply: Schedule an appointment to meet with an EOP counselor to discuss eligibility and details by calling (805) 893-4758. You do not need to have all of your documentation ready at the time of the appointment.

GSA Emergency Relief Grant (x)

The GSA Emergency Relief Grant was approved by the UCSB graduate student body in 2011 and is designed to help graduate students who are experiencing sudden financial distress due to unforeseen circumstances.  Examples of this type of hardship may include, but are not limited to, the loss of an immediate family member, medical emergency, or an unexpected loss of employment.  The amount of an award ranges between $100 and $1000 depending upon individual circumstances. The amount to be awarded is decided by the GSA Emergency Grant Advisory Board. The eight member Advisory Board consists of campus administrators, staff, and members of the GSA executive council.

Community Housing Office (CHO) 

Along with an up-to-date rental database, the Community Housing Office offers one-on-one advice and problem solving related to housing in the Isla Vista, Goleta, and Santa Barbara areas, as well as advice on renter’s rights and responsibilities, security deposits, leases, and more. Students can list themselves as potential roommates, get help finding housing that fits their budget, and receive advice when facing financial challenges that impact their rental situation (for example, an inability to pay rent resulting in a threat of eviction). In addition, CHO provides a move-in/move-out videotaping service to aid in the return of students’ deposits and facilitates mediation for students who find themselves in dispute with roommates or property providers. CHO is located on the 3rd floor of the University Center. For more information, visit, email, or call (805) 893-4371.

Emergency Shelters and Transitional Living 

Students in need of emergency shelter are strongly encouraged to meet with a UCSB social worker to discuss their options by calling (805) 893-3087. If you have exhausted all your housing resources and cannot stay with friends or family, you can look into temporary solutions like the ones below. Additional resources can be found by calling the Santa Barbara County helpline (dial 211) or visiting If you are staying (or about to stay) in an emergency shelter, please contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships at (805) 893-2432 as certain provisions in federal law may allow for changes to your financial aid records that would qualify you for additional federal student aid.

Isla Vista Tenants Union 

The Isla Vista Tenants Union (IVTU) is an organization that serves the interests of Isla Vista tenants by educating them on their rights and responsibilities and acting as a resource when problems occur. In addition to contacting Community Housing Office (see previous page), students can call IVTU to obtain information if they are dealing with financial issues that impact their rental situation, including facing eviction due to non-payment or difficulties related to their security deposits. IVTU also maintains a tenant guide, which can be found at The IVTU is located in Isla Vista at 6550 Pardall Road, Unit B (above Grafikart). For more information, visit or call (805) 968-6704.

University Housing and Payment Plans 

Students in need of housing should contact the offices below to check availability. Any current resident of university-owned housing experiencing financial hardship may negotiate a reasonable payment plan by contacting the appropriate office below:

  • UCSB Residence Halls – (805) 893-5513 or
  • UCSB Apartments – (805) 893-4021 or


For more information on Emergency Funds, please visit the following page.